LILO troubles, EZ-BIOS problem?

Author: Ted Gould
Subject: LILO troubles, EZ-BIOS problem?
--=-nQGRlmw8gh+pnmm5Hp97

Can you post the lilo.conf file? There might be a slight typo - or it
sounds like the wrong boot sector is being specified. Also - while I'm
on a roll - you may need to a chroot when you mount from the cd so that
everything gets placed in the right places, I don't remember with lilo.=20
I know that makes reinstalling GRUB on the boot sector much easier.

        --Ted

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 08:35, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> Hello all:
> I repartitioned my wife's system in an effort to make it dual-boot with=20
> Linux. I then installed Lindows on it (please, no flames, I wanted somet=

hing=20
> as Windows-like as possible.) The install completed but it wouldn't boot=

;=20
> Lindows has installed LILO to the MBR, overwriting my EZ-BIOS stuff, whic=

h is=20
> required because this is an older mobo with two large disks attached. I=20
> restored the MBR and Win 98 boots again, but my attempts to reinstall LIL=

O in=20
> a better place have failed.
>=20
> My first attempt was to put Linux in the last few GB of the second drive.=

I=20
> realized that maybe LILO didn't want to be put there, so I created a 50MB=

=20
> partition at the stat of the first drive and copied the boot files there.=

=20
> (For some reason, Partition Magic has assigned the ext2 boot partition to=

=20
> hda2, the Windows partition hd3, and the swap at the end hda1. I don't t=

hink=20
> that should matter, but it seems odd.)
>=20
> Anyway, I updated the lilo.conf file to change boot from /dev/hda to=20
> /dev/hda2, and left the root mount-point at /dev/hdb2. Since I have to b=

oot=20
> Linux from CD, I change to the directory where the hard drive gets mounte=

d:=20
> /disks/lindowsos/etc. I then run lilo -C lilo.conf (so it uses the local=

=20
> version.) I get the following error:
>=20
> Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different head/sec=

tor=20
> geometries for BIOS drive 0x80.
> Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different head/sec=

tor=20
> geometries for BIOS drive 0x81.
> Fatal: Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0xf000.
>=20
> I don't know whether or not the fatal error is a consequence of the first=

=20
> two, or just a coincidence. I've Googled for "LILO" and "device 0xf000" =

and=20
> can find nothing that explains this. BTW, Lindows originally installed=20
> something as a SCSI drive - I think this was my USB compact-flash reader.=

I=20
> removed this from the LILO config just in case it was hosing me up, but i=

t=20
> didn't help. I also checked that the entry "lba32" occurs in the lilo.co=

nf=20
> file, since that's the way these disks are formatted.
>=20
> Can anyone give me a hint of what to try next? Thanks in advance for any=

=20