LILO troubles, EZ-BIOS problem?

Author: Vaughn Treude
Subject: LILO troubles, EZ-BIOS problem?
Hello all:
I repartitioned my wife's system in an effort to make it dual-boot with
Linux. I then installed Lindows on it (please, no flames, I wanted something
as Windows-like as possible.) The install completed but it wouldn't boot;
Lindows has installed LILO to the MBR, overwriting my EZ-BIOS stuff, which is
required because this is an older mobo with two large disks attached. I
restored the MBR and Win 98 boots again, but my attempts to reinstall LILO in
a better place have failed.

My first attempt was to put Linux in the last few GB of the second drive. I
realized that maybe LILO didn't want to be put there, so I created a 50MB
partition at the stat of the first drive and copied the boot files there.
(For some reason, Partition Magic has assigned the ext2 boot partition to
hda2, the Windows partition hd3, and the swap at the end hda1. I don't think
that should matter, but it seems odd.)

Anyway, I updated the lilo.conf file to change boot from /dev/hda to
/dev/hda2, and left the root mount-point at /dev/hdb2. Since I have to boot
Linux from CD, I change to the directory where the hard drive gets mounted:
/disks/lindowsos/etc. I then run lilo -C lilo.conf (so it uses the local
version.) I get the following error:

Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different head/sector
geometries for BIOS drive 0x80.
Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different head/sector
geometries for BIOS drive 0x81.
Fatal: Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0xf000.

I don't know whether or not the fatal error is a consequence of the first
two, or just a coincidence. I've Googled for "LILO" and "device 0xf000" and
can find nothing that explains this. BTW, Lindows originally installed
something as a SCSI drive - I think this was my USB compact-flash reader. I
removed this from the LILO config just in case it was hosing me up, but it
didn't help. I also checked that the entry "lba32" occurs in the lilo.conf
file, since that's the way these disks are formatted.

Can anyone give me a hint of what to try next? Thanks in advance for any
help you can give me.

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.