InstallFest Status

Author: George Gambill
Subject: InstallFest Status
InstallFest Hats Off to:

Our hats (not the red ones) go off to the following volunteers:

"Thanks for helping further the cause (making it a reality)"

Alan Dayley       alandd()mindspring!com          Vendors
Alexander Henry   alexanderhenry()cox!net         Hosts: Co-Host.
Augie Grayfox     grayfox78()cox!net              CDs to give away: Mandrake
Augie Grayfox     grayfox78()cox!net              CDs to give away: Red Hat
9.0
Austin Godber     godber()uberhip!com]            Support Hardware: Mirror
Host
Bart Garst        bartgarst()cox!net              CDs to give away: Debian
Bart Garst        bartgarst()cox!net              Materials: Waiver Forms
Bart Garst        bartgarst()cox!net              Materials: Stickers, Check
In
betty i           molossermom()ev1!net            Food: Treats
Bruce Pettycrew   bkpettcrew()cox!net             Installation: Red Had
Bruce Pettycrew   bkpettycrew()cox!net            CDs to give away:
Slackware 9.
Craig Brooksby    azipa()brxb!com                 Hosts: Co-Host
Denis Kibbe       dennisk()sahuaro!f2s!com        Installation: Slackware
Der Hans          PLUGd()LuftHans                 Publicity
Der Hans          PLUGd()LuftHans                 Publicity Press Release
Der Hans          PLUGd()LuftHans!com             Support Hardware: Apt
Cache
Der Hans          PLUGd()LuftHans!com             Support Hardware: Squid
Proxy
der.hans          PlLUGd()LuftHans!com            Facility:
Derek Neighbors   derek()gnue!org                 Presentation:
Eldric            eldric()cox!net                 Facility Contact (UAT)
George Gambill    ggambill()computer-guidance!com Volunteers
George Gambill    ggambill()computer-guidance!com CDs to give away:
OpenOffice
George Gambill    ggambill()computer-guidance!com Support Hardware: LTSP
Server
George Gambill    ggambill()computer-guidance!com Support Hardware: LTSP
Clients
Marcia Wilbur     aicra()well!com                 Installation: Dead Rat
;-)
Marcia Wilbur     aicra()well!com                 Installation: Debian
Marcia Wilbur     aicra()well!com                 Presentation: Videotape,
Stall
Marcia Wilbur     aicra()well!com                 Working Computers: With a
CD B
Matt the Almighty Email Restricted                General Assistance
Rares Marian      rmarian()linuxmail!org          Installation: Debian
Robert Ambrose    rna()muttsoft!com               Installation: Red Hat
Robert Ambrose    rna()muttsoft!com               Support Hardware: FTP
Server
Ted Gould         ted()gould!cx                   Demonstration: The Gimp
tickticker        tickticker()cox!net             CDs to give away: Mandrake

-------------------------------
The remaining orphans need TLC from a loving parent (champion)
-------------------------------

Please reply off-list with additions or corrections.

When replying off-list to volunteer, please let me know how you want
your name presented, full name, first name and last initial, just first
name or even just their email address or nickname. If you provide no
instructions I will use the name provided in the email header (i.e.
ggambill@compu.....) Thanks,

Reply to George Gambill <>

Suggested demos(presentations) needing a champion where "Demonstration"
means: Normally one (instructor/demonstrator) to few (as many as can look
over the demonstrators shoulder) students and normally presented in a
room with much other activities going on.

___________________
Blender
    Whatever this is?
___________________
Demonstration:
  Desktop
     KDE
  Desktop:
     GNOME
  Free Software Development: (in .az.us)
    (Your Sugestions Go Here)
    Familiar
    GDB
    GNOME
    GNUe
    KDE
    Kernel
    Sodi-Podi
  GNUe:
     We have 20 qualified
  InstallFest Menu
     A wish list (pick list) allowing the Newbie to select (with help)
     the desired parts (Distro, OpenOffice, Desktop [KDE, GNOME], etc.)
     and to convey that information to the installer.
  Konq.
  Licensing
     This might be a presentation
  MySQL
  Nautilus
  OpenOffice.org
     Demo on GNU/Linux and M$
  Photo Albums
  PostGresSQL
  Ripping CDs
  Viewing FAX(s)
  What is Free Software
     This might be a presentation
___________________
Firewalling
    This might be a good presentation
___________________
Food:
    Per Eldric (UAT) Food is not allowed in the auditorium.  However,
    other areas may be OK.  And, there is a blimpies across the street, a
    Circle K and a Fry's Market Place.  We also have an eatery in the
    bldg called Cuban Pete's that we (UAT) may get to be open for the
    event.  I (Eldric) also know they do catering for big events.  There
    are also several fast foot joints, restaurants and food court in the
    mall within a 1/2 mile.  ;)
___________________
Giveaways:
  CDs to give away:
    CD Labels
      Professionaly Done
    Mozilla 1.0
  PLUG Business Cards:
  PLUG handouts:
  TUX the Penguin, Case Badges:
     To all successful installs
___________________
Got it installed!  Now what?:
  How to find out what is installed
     This might make a good presentation of white paper
  Putting the box on line at home
     A guide to putting the box on the air at home
       (cable/dsl/phone setup, etc.
     This might also be a good presentation
  Where to fing assistance
     This might also be a good presentation or white pater.
___________________
Hosts:
    Hosts greet people at the door, help them (with assistance) fill out
    a menu (which should exist by then) and guide them to an installer.
___________________
Installation:
  Debian
___________________
Knoppix
___________________
Knoppix for Kids/Debian Jr.
___________________
LTSP - Linux Terminal Server
    20 Effective Office Computers for Under $2,000.00
___________________
Materials:
    The start of a list.  Let me know which you can bring off-list.  We
    will cc the plug list daily.
  General
    Easel, Whiteboard, Dry Markers
    Markers, Paper, Tape (for signs)
    PLUG Banner.
      Who has this???
    Pens, Pencils
    Preprinted Signs
      ("Install Fest This Way" [left, right, straight])
  Good Stuff (Parts)
    Extra Floppy Drives, CDROM Drives
      (for folks with recalcitrant hardware?)
    Extra Vudei and Sound Cards
      (for folks with recalcitrant hardware)
    IDE, Floppy Cables
    Netword Switch/Hub adn Cables
    Network Cards (PCI, ISA)
    Power Strips / Surge Protectors
      Several Folks Please Bring
    Screwdrivers
    Spare Keyboards
    Spare Mice
    Various Converter Plugs, Screws, etc.
___________________
Other Thoughts to Consider
    These are thoughts which while not necessarly (may or may not be) an
    active component of the installFest, we may not want to risk
    forgetting them untill such time as we have decided where to place
    them (a home) or to reject them.  Please keep in mind that this thing
    is on a data base.
  Brief Descriptions of "Essential" Commands
     I think a list (w/brief descriptions) of "essential" commands is a
     must.
     How/when to update your new system (which brings up the idea of apt
     for rpm)?  Per "Bart Garst" <>
  Desktop Icon to Distro OnLine Documentation
     ALL MAJOR DISTROS HAVE INSTALLATION MANUALS - some people just find
     it
     easier to use others to do the work for them and thus they never
     really learn anything. ... Per  Craig White <>
  Desktop Link to:
     A link on the desktop pointing to an html tour of their system is a
     good
     idea. The question is, what to include in the tour?  Maybe a link
     to PLUG  "Bart Garst" <>
  List of Counterparts to Familiar MS Apps
     What the counterparts are to the Windows apps they are used to.
     A quick guide on how to find answers through google?
  PLUG Icon of Desktop
     We should have a PLUG icon on their desktop that opens up the PLUG
     web page or, even better, opens up a PLUG newbie page.  Per der hans
  WTYB Page (what ever that is)
     The WTYB page could also point out documents and maybe have a tour
     of the new system.  Per der hans
  Welcome to Your Box Intro at Log In
     What we need is a good "Welcome to your box" intro that
     automagically pops up when they log in.  Per der hans
___________________
Security Updates:
    This should also be covered in the 'Where Now'
    This might make a good presentation also
___________________
Support Hardware:
  LTSP Clients 4 more
     LTSP clients Need no Hard Drive.  32 meg of memory is sufficient.  A
     NIC card supported by ROM-A-MATIC or with an Etherboot (TFTP) NIC.
     I should be able to come up with a couple more Linksys NIC's (if
     someone has boxes) with boot floppies (or onboard etherboot chips)
     but they require 200MHz of better.
___________________
Working Computers:
    Let me know if we have missed any catagories here.
  Apple G3
  Firewall Distro
  FreeSCO
  GNOME
  KDE
  _____ Your Favorite Software Goes Here

-------------------------------
The Clerical Stuff:
-------------------------------

Please reply off-list with additions or corrections.

When replying off-list to volunteer, please let me know how you want
your name presented, full name, first name and last initial, just first
name or even just their email address or nickname. If you provide no
instructions I will use the name provided in the email header (i.e.
ggambill@compu.....) Thanks,

George Gambill <>

-------------------------------
What, When, Where: