how to remove c compiler

Author: liberty young
Subject: how to remove c compiler
Figuring out the safe removal of gcc, you shouldn't need to install it
for later kernel installs. At the very least, you can scp in a tarball
of a kernel and it's modules compiled from your desktop, and
unpack/install it on the box...

If you're using Debian kernel images, then
http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/kernel-image-2.4.18-1-386.html

shows that kernel-images require only initrd-tools, fileutils, and
modutils (which you need anyways)