InstallFest Status and Hats Off

Author: George Gambill
Subject: InstallFest Status and Hats Off
Please be warned that this system is now automated (database). This report
comes out at the push of a button. I think it is accurate with the
previously (maintained by hand) postings. Just in case, please review it
carefully for errors. Hopefully it will aid with future InstallFests
(documentation) and reduce errors at this next one. Thanks

InstallFest Hats Off to:

Our hats (not the red ones) go off to the following volunteers:

"Thanks for helping further the cause (making it a reality)"

Alan Dayley               Vendors
Alexander Henry          Hosts: Co-Host.
Augie Grayfox                 CDs to give away: Mandrake
Augie Grayfox                 CDs to give away: Red Hat 9.0
Austin Godber   ]            Support Hardware: Mirror Host
Bart Garst                    CDs to give away: Debian
betty i                     Food: Treats
Bruce Pettycrew              Installation: Red Had
Bruce Pettycrew             CDs to give away: Slackware
9.0
Craig Brooksby                   Hosts: Co-Host
Denis Kibbe             Installation: Slackware
Der Hans        PLUGd@LuftHans                 Publicity
Der Hans        PLUGd@LuftHans                 Publicity Press Release
Der Hans                     Support Hardware: Apt Cache
Der Hans                     Support Hardware: Squid Proxy
der.hans                    Facility:
Derek Neighbors                  Presentation:
Eldric                           Facility Contact (UAT)
George Gambill   Volunteers
George Gambill   CDs to give away: OpenOffice
Marcia Wilbur                    Installation: Dead Rat  ;-)
Marcia Wilbur                    Installation: Debian
Marcia Wilbur                    Presentation: Videotape,
Stallman
Marcia Wilbur                    Working Computers: With a CD
Burn
Matt Alexander                      General Assistance
Rares Marian              Installation: Debian
Robert Ambrose                 Installation: Red Hat
Robert Ambrose                 Support Hardware: FTP Server
Ted Gould                          Demonstration: The Gimp
tickticker                   CDs to give away: Mandrake

-------------------------------
The remaining orphans need TLC from a loving parent (champion)
-------------------------------
Anything below this line is a opening for you to join in!!!

Please reply off-list with additions or corrections.

When replying off-list to volunteer, please let me know how you want your
name
presented, full name, first name and last initial, just first name or even
just
their email address or nickname. If you provide no instructions I will use
the
name provided in the email header (i.e. ggambill@compu.....) Thanks,

Reply to George Gambill <>

Suggested demos(presentations) needing a champion where "Demonstration"
means:
Normally one (instructor/demonstrator) to few (as many as can look over the
demonstrators shoulder) students and normally presented in a room with much
other activities going on.

___________________
Blender
    Whatever this is?
___________________
Demonstration:
  Desktop
     KDE
  Desktop:
     GNOME
  Free Software Development: (in .az.us)
    (Your Sugestions Go Here)
    Familiar
    GDB
    GNOME
    GNUe
    KDE
    Kernel
    Sodi-Podi
  GNUe:
     We have 20 qualified
  InstallFest Menu
     A wish list (pick list) allowing the Newbie to select (with help) the
     desired parts (Distro, OpenOffice, Desktop [KDE, GNOME], etc.) and to
     convey that information to the installer.
  Konq.
  Licensing
     This might be a presentation
  MySQL
  Nautilus
  OpenOffice.org
     Demo on GNU/Linux and M$
  Photo Albums
  PostGresSQL
  Ripping CDs
  Viewing FAX(s)
  What is Free Software
     This might be a presentation
___________________
Firewalling
    This might be a good presentation
___________________
Food:
    Per Eldric (UAT) Food is not allowed in the auditorium.  However, other
    areas may be OK.  And, there is a blimpies across the street, a Circle K
    and a Fry's Market Place.  We also have an eatery in the bldg called
Cuban
    Pete's that we (UAT) may get to be open for the event.  I (Eldric) also
    know they do catering for big events.  There are also several fast foot
    joints, restaurants and food court in the mall within a 1/2 mile.  ;)
___________________
Giveaways:
  CDs to give away:
    Mozilla 1.0
  PLUG Business Cards:
  PLUG handouts:
  TUX the Penguin, Case Badges:
     To all successful installs
___________________
Got it installed!  Now what?:
  How to find out what is installed
     This might make a good presentation of white paper
  Putting the box on line at home
     A guide to putting the box on the air at home
       (cable/dsl/phone setup, etc. This might also be a good presentation
  Where to fing assistance
     This might also be a good presentation or white pater.
___________________
Hosts:
    Hosts greet people at the door, help them (with assistance) fill out a
menu
    (which should exist by then) and guide them to an installer.
___________________
Installation:
  Debian
___________________
Knoppix
___________________
Knoppix for Kids/Debian Jr.
___________________
LTSP - Linux Terminal Server
    20 Effective Office Computers for Under $2,000.00
___________________
Materials List
    The start of a list.  Let me know which you can bring off-list.  We will
cc
    the plug list daily.
  General
    Easel, Whiteboard, Dry Markers
    Markers, Paper, Tape (for signs)
    PLUG Banner.
      Who has this???
    Pens, Pencils
    Preprinted Signs
      ("Install Fest This Way" [left, right, straight])
  Good Stuff (Parts)
    Extra Floppy Drives, CDROM Drives
      (for folks with recalcitrant hardware?)
    Extra Vudei and Sound Cards
      (for folks with recalcitrant hardware)
    IDE, Floppy Cables
    Netword Switch/Hub adn Cables
    Network Cards (PCI, ISA)
    Power Strips / Surge Protectors
      Several Folks Please Bring
    Screwdrivers
    Spare Keyboards
    Spare Mice
    Various Converter Plugs, Screws, etc.
___________________
Other Thoughts to Consider
    These are thoughts which while not necessarly (may or may not be) an
active
    component of the installFest, we may not want to risk forgetting them
    untill such time as we have decided where to place them (a home) or to
    reject them.  Please keep in mind that this thing is on a data base.
  Brief Descriptions of "Essential" Commands
     I think a list (w/brief descriptions) of "essential" commands is a
must.
     How/when to update your new system (which brings up the idea of apt for
     rpm)?  Per "Bart Garst" <>
  Desktop Icon to Distro OnLine Documentation
     ALL MAJOR DISTROS HAVE INSTALLATION MANUALS - some people just find it
     easier to use others to do the work for them and thus they never really
     learn anything. ... Per  Craig White <>
  Desktop Link to:
     A link on the desktop pointing to an html tour of their system is a
good
     idea. The question is, what to include in the tour?  Maybe a link to
PLUG
     "Bart Garst" <>
  List of Counterparts to Familiar MS Apps
     What the counterparts are to the Windows apps they are used to.
     A quick guide on how to find answers through google?
  PLUG Icon of Desktop
     We should have a PLUG icon on their desktop that opens up the PLUG web
     page or, even better, opens up a PLUG newbie page.  Per der hans
  WTYB Page (what ever that is)
     The WTYB page could also point out documents and maybe have a tour of
the
     new system.  Per der hans
  Welcome to Your Box Intro at Log In
     What we need is a good "Welcome to your box" intro that automagically
pops
     up when they log in.  Per der hans
___________________
Security Updates:
    This should also be covered in the 'Where Now'
    This might make a good presentation also
___________________
Support Hardware:
  LTSP Server
___________________
Working Computers:
    Let me know if we have missed any catagories here.
  Apple G3
  Firewall Distro
  FreeSCO
  GNOME
  KDE
  _____ Your Favorite Software Goes Here

-------------------------------
The clerical stuff:

Anywhere you see "_____" is a opening that might fit your name!!!

Please reply off-list with additions or corrections.

When replying off-list to volunteer, please let me know how you want your
name
presented, full name, first name and last initial, just first name or even
just
their email address or nickname. If you provide no instructions I will use
the
name provided in the email header (i.e. ggambill@compu.....) Thanks,

George Gambill <>

-------------------------------