PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #3955 - 9 msgs

Author: Craig Brooksby
Subject: PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #3955 - 9 msgs
> Message: 5
> From: "J.L.Francois" <>
> To: <>,
>     "der.hans" <>
> Subject: Re: Frenchie success
> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:09:02 -0400

> Since I wil have some free time before I go online again, I have been consi=
> dering a rewrite
> of the MagusNet Public Proxy.=20
> Sorry to say, between some of the Michigan laws and the Homeland Security e=
> ffort, I may
> test the waters for how autonomous I can be before doing the "cool" feature=
> s I want to add.
>
> The feature I really want to implement is using a tinyurl.com style databas=
> e to do time based URL obfuscation
> to prevent replay of anonymized transactions while "hiding" the actual URL =
> being viewed from proxy logs.

Are you the guy behind the anonymizer? That was a great service. A
belated thanks.

I run a URL redirector called TidyURL.com (note the "d") but it's only
used privately, as part of an SEO service. There is no "public" face to
it. It just issues 301 redirects from short to long link (same as
TinyURL and allthe others). Three clients and growing.

I am a rank amateur programmer, but I am proud of my little 70-line CGI
program. It is written in Python and uses the obscure "marshal" module
to serialize objects to gain speed. It also keeps tracks of which
spiders have been by lately. Next step: long-running process (instead
of CGI) -- perhaps using the quirky "CherryPy" platform. Not sure yet.

I am intrigued by what *I think* you are saying, above. You are talking
about an anonymizer that leaves no footprints, or at least leaves
different (and untraceable) footprints everywhere it goes?

TidyURL gets very close to that, using a compbimation of CNAME pointing
and subdomains. Interested in swapping a little know how? I don't know
you but you seem to have a good rep here in the AZ Linux group...
--
R. Craig Brooksby
http://www.brxb.com