Local web hosting - recommendations?

Author: Vaughn Treude
Subject: Local web hosting - recommendations?
Hello all:
This may be somewhat OT, so bear with me.
I need to fire my current web hosting company (WestHost in Utah.) They're
apparently undergoing some sort of server migration that's completely
bamboozled them, and their customer support has essentially disappeared. All
emails to my "nakota-software" domain are bouncing. I can't reach them over
the phone, and I've received only one reply to my emails, in which the tech
said she addressed my problem - but what she did made my problem worse, not
better. Now all "nakota-software" emails go into a black hole, and still
don't reach me!

My prime candidates at the moment are Deru and Fastq. Fastq's "basic plus"
account is the same price as what I'm paying for Westhost, and I've heard
good things about them. Deru has been my ISP for over a year, and I have no
complaints. The cheapest Deru plan is considerably cheaper than Fastq, and
it appears to have more features. This concerns me: can Deru deliver the
same quality of service at this price?

Secondly, I've read the service agreements of both (something I probably
should've paid more attention to when I signed with Deru as an ISP.)
Regarding spam, Fastq says "no mass mailings without permission except to
friends and family", which to me is totally reasonable. Deru's agreement
says they have a "zero tolerance policy" for spam, including "unsolicited
commercial email." The sales guy told me this was just a legal CYA, but I'm
still a bit paranoid. I do send the occasional unsolicted email (individual
messages, not massed) to local companies that may be interested in my
services. This seems to violate the letter of the agreement. I hate spam as
much as the next guy, but I hate putting myself in a situation where the
other guy can say, "hey, you agreed to this." (That's why I won't buy a
house in a neighborhood that has an association.) Any comments?

Any alternate recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.