installfest choices

Author: betty i
Subject: installfest choices
i think that george has 8 points well taken here for what a new install computer should do/be for a new user.
i believe that the second quote (sorry i don't recall who sent this originally) is equally as critical.
after listening to everyone's arguments over these last few days, i think my next install will be debian :-)
i like redhat (ease of use for a newbie; did my own install; like others, several times...) but it sounds like debian may be a new, fun challenge. ( i also tried mandrake and had trouble with the modem (external) part of the install so gave up after a few days)

which brings me to the last point; if people are bringing in their m$ boxen and want redhat or whatever on it, don't they need a non-winmodem? or do i have that wrong?
don't a lot of people use their new machine set up for the internet and how will they do that with a winmodem?
betty i.

1) Work (Linux)
2) Permit me to stay entrenched in newbie land
(GUI, KDE or GNOME) for a while.
3) Let me do my word processing (Open Office)
4) Let me do my spread sheet etc. (Open Office)
5) Let me do my email.
6) Let me browse the web.
7) Provide solutions not problems.
8) Provide solutions not problems (duplicated on purpose)

I think if we come up with three choices based on ease of install and use=
, we=20
could very well cover the entire spectrum of the newbies' needs.
Something like:
1 no brainer (almost like the evil empire)
2. medium
3 hardcore
--=20
Aug

--
observare porta non oportet fila domestica
visit www.wolfila.homestead.com