pci wireless

Author: KevinO
Subject: pci wireless
Kevin Brown wrote:
> Mike Starke wrote:
>
>> It is time to get my daughter on the Internet and I
>> need/want to do it wireless.
>>
>> Although she has XP right now, ole Dad just may put Debian
>> on it one day if she doesn't keep the room clean :-)
>> Anyone care to comment about this card?
>> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=494362
>>
>> Any equivalent cheaper ones out there (at Fry's)?
>>
> I have a PCMCIA version of the 802.11b gold card. So far I've been very
> happy with the Lucent/Orinoco/Agere/Proxim cards (that is all the
> companies hands that those products have passed through).

I suggest you look at the SMC2532W-B pcmcia card and get a PCI adapter for it.

This is a high performance card, very close to the best, at a price only a
little higher than the real cheapies. ($57 at computers4sure) So it is still a
good bargain even after you buy the adapter. (I got a Belkin at the swap meet
for $12)

I just wish I would have known about this before I rushed out and bought the
Linksys at Fly's.It will run circles around it ;-)

- --
KevinO

"If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?"
- -- Lily Tomlin