PGP keys

Author: der.hans
Subject: PGP keys
Am 09. Sep, 2003 schw=E4tzte Bart Garst so:

> So what's the point of signing it if anyone can read it? I get the
> encryption idea, but your message was signed. I have no way of knowing
> if your message was signed with your key or someone else's. What's the
> advantage to that?

You can verify that the person who sent it is actually the person to whom
the mail is attributed.

For instance, I don't sign my mail at this point. Most anyone could send
mail to the list such that it looks like it's from me, even though I didn't
send it.

A GPG signature would be verifiable by those who have verified my signature
and added it to their keychains.

The signature would also verify that the message hasn't been changed.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  "Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out, but
#  that is not the reason we are doing it." -- Richard Feynman