Thank You, Linus!

Author: Craig White
Subject: Thank You, Linus!
On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 16:52, der.hans wrote:
> Am 05. Aug, 2003 schwätzte Ed Skinner so:
>
> >      I absolutely love receiving virus/worm-burdened Emails now. Thank you,
> > Linus, for giving us such a wonderful OS, and to all of the open source
> > developers around the world that have helped make it (almost) impervious.
> >      Today's installment came from somewhere "down-under" with a zip'd
> > attachment revealing a "foo.exe" executable, all pretending to be an
> > important message about this email account about to expire. Yeah, right!
> >      Thanks to all for the wonderful entertainment!

> Well, actually, thank whoever wrote the email program you're using.
>
> Thanks them for having the forsight or lazyness to not include those virus
> features.
>
> Virusmail is just another form of SPAM. The difference is we know who is at
> fault for all the viruses whereas SPAMmers could be anyone.

-----
Just remember that with success, comes problems. Worms/Virii are certain
to come to Linux as it achieves more success.

The foresight/laziness issue is probably unfair - I think Microsoft had
a great idea with an email client that could execute code - companies
could distribute e-mails with active content - updates/registrations
etc. The problem is that there are people who saw that as an
opportunity.

Craig