Haste Makes Waste - Or Does It???

Author: George Gambill
Subject: Haste Makes Waste - Or Does It???
I read somewhere that if you have a slower (ATA33) CDROM as the second
(slave) of the same IDE controller that your higher speed IDE hard drive
(ATA100/133) is connected to, that the hard drive will run at the slower
(ATA33) speed .

Not wanting to risk this, I bought a second cable to move the CDROM to the
second IDE controller. However, in my haste, I moved the hard drive (HDA)
to the second controller making it HDC. Everything seemed to boot well
except for an error message (failed) about swapon: and /dev/hda3 not
existing, which figures.

I went into fstab and pointed swap to /dev/hdc3 and life is good. My
question: Is there any advantage having the hard drive plugged into the
first IDE connection making it hda???

Thanks

George