Another fsck error at startup

Author: Michael Havens
Subject: Another fsck error at startup
This is the result of your instructions, Marcia.
~~~
root@bmike1:/home/bmike1# fsck /dev/sda6
fsck 1.34-WIP (21-May-2003)
e2fsck 1.34-WIP (21-May-2003)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda6

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
~~~
One of the problems may be that it is ext3 format. Because such is the case I
took the command they suggest (e2fsck -b 8193 <device>) and modified it to
e3fsck -b 8193 </dev/sda6> in the hopes that would solve the problem. Yet the
response was the same.
~~~
root@bmike1:/home/bmike1# e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda6
e2fsck 1.34-WIP (21-May-2003)
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda6

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
~~~
So what should i try now?
(I really wish I had been raised with Unix rather than M$.)
:)~MIKE~(: