the proprietary advantage?

Author: der.hans
Subject: the proprietary advantage?
moin, moin,

proprietary software vendors have claimed their products are more secure
than Free Software because there's no source code to examine. They claim
this means bad guys have to develop the exploit rather than just find an
error. This is a process that supposedly takes longer and is harder to do.

It seems to me that many of the m$ exploits have commonalities, so it's
probably pretty easy to script exploit detection *and* actually find
exploits. Maybe I'm just na=EEve.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/02/worm/index.html

Yet another exploit. Yet another worm. Oh wait, there's also the 'buffer
overflow'.

These bugs seem to get detected even without source code.

Now add in tools like BugScan, http://www.bugscaninc.com/, and any claims o=
security through obscurity by proprietary vendors just don't hold water.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  ... make it clear I support "Free Software" and not "Open Source",
#  and don't imply I agree that there is such a thing as a
#  "Linux operating system". - rms