the proprietary advantage?

Author: der.hans
New-Topics: Debian and rpm
Subject: the proprietary advantage?
Am 02. Aug, 2003 schw=E4tzte technomage so:

> On Saturday 02 August 2003 02:05 pm, der.hans wrote:
> > moin, moin,
> >
> > proprietary software vendors have claimed their products are more secur=

> > than Free Software because there's no source code to examine. They clai=

> > this means bad guys have to develop the exploit rather than just find a=

> > error. This is a process that supposedly takes longer and is harder to =

do.

> > Now add in tools like BugScan, http://www.bugscaninc.com/, and any clai=

ms
> > of security through obscurity by proprietary vendors just don't hold wa=

ter.
> the above mentioned webpage doesn't appear to exist (I got timeouts and b=

ad
> hostname errors trying to access it).

I'd say that there are currently problems out on the Net.

Can't get to: www.cnn.com, www.intel.com, www.{fsf,gnu}.org,
www.slashdot.com, www.google.com.

Probs getting to www.Spiegel.de, but eventually got through.

www.Yahoo.com works, so does www.AZOTO.org.

They claim BugScan can detect many security problems by examining the
machine code of the program.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  You can't handle the source! - der.hans