FSF Counsel's Take on SCO

Author: der.hans
Subject: FSF Counsel's Take on SCO
Am 02. Aug, 2003 schw=E4tzte Derek Neighbors so:

> I think arguing that the GPL is more free than the BSD is a losing
> argument. (sorry Hans) BSD is a 100% "freedom", but true freedom is

It's not 100% freedom. I could see it being anarchy, though ;-).

Freedom must be guaranteed to continue or it isn't freedom.

"Freedom of Speech" until you say something that pisses of the government
isn't "Freedome of Speech".

> really anarchy. For example, (at one time) this country afford lots of
> freedom, but killing your neighbor was not a "freedom", because it just
> isn't good for society. :)

Freedom doesn't give us the right to harm others. In fact, that infringes o=
their freedom.

Ask the employees of Enron how good their pension plan is. It was something
that could be ( and was ) taken away. If there's no guarantee that it can't
be usurped you can't count on it existing when you need it.

I'm not saying the BSD style license is horrible. I'm just saying it doesn'=
have that guarantee of continued freedom. I posit not having that guarantee
makes it less free.

Granted, if SCO succeeds in having the GPL legally invalidated the BSD styl=
license will have shown itself to be superior ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  Science is magic explained. - der.hans