FSF Counsel's Take on SCO

Author: der.hans
Subject: FSF Counsel's Take on SCO
Am 31. Jul, 2003 schw=E4tzte Jeremy C. Reed so:

http://mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-21-AmndComplaint_Story01.html
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D03/07/29/0049210

> If that is the case, then simply do a diff against it and the official
> kernel.org version. Will someone check this?

That is an option.

> (When I was on the SCO conference call last week, I didn't hear anything
> about this good kernel available from them. I have heard about them
> selling their license to use the supposedly-tainted kernel.)

Yeah, except that's a binary-only license, which is not allowed by the GPL.

It is an example of how the *BSD license isn't as free as the GPL since it
doesn't protect your freedoms. If this had been software under the *BSD
license there would be no way to prevent the binary-only license gambit.

The real solution is still to pull it out of the kernel, but if it turns ou=
to be something the kernel needs to continue being functional...

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans