Peachtree and Linux

Author: Alan Dayley
Subject: Peachtree and Linux
Need to know more about the network.

It's been several years since I messed with it but Peachtree used to provide multiuser operation by keeping the data files on a server and the application on each client was pointed at the data files. So, two tests that come to mind for your situation...

1. If the data files are on a server on the same side of the Linux firewall as the workstations, have you simply unplugged the Linux box's network connection and watched for Peachtree to start working? Then, plug the Linux box back in and see it fail?

2. If the data files are on the other side of the firewall from the workstations, the firewall may be blocking the network traffic to and from the server. Maybe the new version uses different TCP ports that you have to open in the firewall?

Peachtree also used to require that the connection between the open data files on the server and the workstation be constantly open. A dropped connection to the server would lock the application nicely.

Your original mail was not clear to me. Did it work before and is now broken after an upgrade? I think more information is needed about the sequence of events and what has been attempted.

I'm just guessing here, since I don't know your setup.

I don't understand how just attaching a Linux box to a network could possibly bring any application to it's knees. That does not make sense at all and Peachtree should be be called to the carpet for releasing such a thing, if it is true.

Alan