remote X

Author: Craig White
Subject: remote X
On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 10:19, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Am 25. Jul, 2003 schwätzte Craig White so:
> > I have VNC up, running and working just fine but I think that I would
> > like to play with xwindows without the VNC. I am considering that this
> > is a trusted network...
> >
> > I have tried...
> >
> > on server - 'xhost + 192.168.2.100
> >
> > and from client - logged in via ssh as a user and then...
> >
> > 'xterm -display 192.168.2.100'
> >
> > and gotten an error (something like, unable to open display)
>
> Ignoring the better option of using xauth and ssh for the moment, here is a
> step by step xhost example.
>
> Assume remote machine is called 'remote' (ip: 192.168.1.100) and local machine
> is 'local' (ip: 192.168.1.200). You are running X on 'local' and want to
> start up an xterm on 'remote' and have it display on 'local's X display.
>
> On 'local', run the following command:
>
> local% xhost +192.168.1.100
>
> On 'remote', run the following command:
>
> remote% export DISPLAY="192.168.1.200:0"
> remote% xterm
>
> -OR-
>
> remote% xterm -display 192.168.1.200:0
>
> Note the trailing :0. That is *critical*.

----
OK - I got it - thanks for the spoon sized shredded wheat.

Not sure why this is an attractive option - I guess my expectations were
out of whack. I was trying to do this from a text console and I couldn't
get it going - duh - I was thinking that this was similar to VNC and
would give me a complete window manager - again duh

I guess that what I was trying to do was to run stuff on my linux
workstation upstairs in my loft from my slower/older laptop via 802.11b
- VNC works fine for this but if I used the 'shared' desktop, my linux
workstation is set up for a 1280x1024 fpd and my laptop cannot go beyond
1024x768 which means that I either restrain my linux display upstairs to
1024x768 or scroll the screen on the laptop downstairs - if I don't run
VNC in shared mode, when I leave evolution or mozilla running on my
linux station upstairs and then run vnc from the laptop, I can't run the
programs because they are already running - that makes the shared
desktop function really handy.

Thanks to Kurt, Hans and Jeremy - I've learned something today