remote X

Author: der.hans
Subject: remote X
Am 25. Jul, 2003 schw=E4tzte Craig White so:

> I have VNC up, running and working just fine but I think that I would
> like to play with xwindows without the VNC. I am considering that this
> is a trusted network...
>
> I have tried...
>
> on server - 'xhost + 192.168.2.100
>
> and from client - logged in via ssh as a user and then...
>
> 'xterm -display 192.168.2.100'
>
> and gotten an error (something like, unable to open display)

There's a much better way.

Make sure you have xauth on the remote machine. Make sure X11 forwarding is
enabled in sshd on the remote machine. ssh making sure to allow X11
connections ( -X ). If you 'echo $DISPLAY' on the remote machine at that
point you should see the remote machine's name followed by a colon, a
number, a dot and 0.

$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

This setup will tunnel everything over the encrypted ssh connection.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  C'est la Net - der.hans