2 debian questions

Author: der.hans
New-Topics: Compiling 2.6.0 Was: 2 debian questions
Subject: 2 debian questions
Am 24. Jul, 2003 schw=E4tzte Rob Wultsch so:

> 1. How do I force an upgrade/install of package even if it breaks other
> things? I know I asked this a few months back, but I forgot the answer
> and could not find it in the archeive. Sorry

Answer: don't.

If you choose to ignore that answer look at the man page for dpkg.

Find out why the dependencies aren't working and get that fixed.

> 2. I see a package like "kernel-image-2.6.0-test0". I assumed that this
> would install a precompiled 2.6 kernel. Is this correct? What is the
> command to determine what kernel I am running?

uname -a

That will show you what kernel you're running.

The kernel-image packages are precompiled kernels. You need to make sure
you're bootloader is correctly configured, but otherwise they generally wor=
well. I wouldn't expect that for the 2.6 test kernels, though :).

$ feta show kernel-image-2.6.0-test1-1-386
=2E
=2E
=2E
This package contains the Linux kernel image for version 2.6.0-test1 on
386,
the corresponding System.map file, and the modules built by the packager.
It also contains scripts that try to ensure that the system is not left in
a unbootable state after an update.
.
If you wish to update a bootdisk, or to use a bootloader to make
installing and using the image easier, we suggest you install the latest
fdutils (for formatting a floppy to be used as boot disk), and LILO, for a
powerful bootloader. Of course, both these are optional.
.
Kernel image packages are generally produced using kernel-package,
and it is suggested that you install that package if you wish to
create a custom kernel from the sources.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  Knowledge is useless unless it's shared. - der.hans