Graphical boot for RedHat 9

Author: Tom Jones
Subject: Graphical boot for RedHat 9
WARNING: The following may cause your system to stop booting, explode
into a nuclear fireball, or even jump up and attack your pets. You have
been warned.

The latest RedHat beta "Severen" includes a graphical boot with a prgress
bar. For those wanting to add this capability to RedHat 9, it's not a
difficult trick.

On rpmfind.net you'll need to grab initscripts-7.28-1 and rhgb-0.9.4-1.
Install these in the same order you grabbed 'em.

Check /etc/sysconfig/init to make sure you have the lines BOOTUP=color and
GRAPHICAL=yes. Check /etc/inittab to make sure that your default runlevel
is 5 (Boot into X).

Once this is done, reboot and watch the pretty blue progress bar.

The background image is /usr/share/rhgb/background.png. I'm pretty sure
that it can be changed, but I haven't had time to experiment on it yet.

For those who aren't using RedHat, but still want a graphical boot,
check out www.bootsplash.org.

TJ