USB help

Author: Ed Skinner
Subject: USB help
On Wednesday 23 July 2003 16:13, Craig Brooksby wrote:
> Karl / David / VoltageSpike et al:
> Keeping this on-list as requested.

      Yes, please do so. I've grabbed a couple of tidbits from this discu=
ssion=20
and used them today. This is very good information. Thanks to all!
      One observation: I was wondering how I'm supposed to *know* that=20
/dev/sda1 is the *right* thing to mount so I did a little experimenting.=20
Checking the ownership of /dev/sda1 with my flash device / USB cable remo=
ved,=20
it is owned by root ("ls -l /dev/sda1"). But when I insert the flash devi=
ce=20
into my USB adapter and then plug the USB into my system, that same devic=
e is=20
then owned by me ("eskinner"). All other /dev/sda* devices are unchanged.=
=20
Somehow the USB subsystem knows that because "eskinner" is using the syst=
em,=20
he should be the owner of the hardware that has just been inserted. Cool!
     Question: Which HOWTO should I go read that'll tell me the basic thi=
ngs=20
such as which kinds of USB devices show up where--I presume there is a=20
numbering/naming scheme at work? For example, I'm also curious about the=20
Pilot syncing but don't expect ot see it in /dev/sda* (or should I?).
     Great thread. Thanks!

--=20
Ed Skinner, , http://www.flat5.net/