Debian kernel recompile

Author: der.hans
Subject: Debian kernel recompile
Am 14. Jul, 2003 schw=E4tzte so:

> I did a kernel recompile with 2.4.21 but receive a kernel panic at every
> boot up and am now booting off of LinuxOLD (2.4.18 bf2.4) and I want to
> try to recompile the kernel. How can I removed the failed "Linux" so
> that it sees the current working kernel as Linux. That way I will have

apt-get remove <kernel>

That should fix up the soft links that lilo is using. In any case you shoul=
examine /etc/lilo.conf and the soft links it points at to make sure
everything's correct. Don't forget to rerun lilo.

BTW, have you enabled the initrd in lilo.conf?

> something to fall back on if it fails again. I am trying to recompile my
> kernel so that I can enable UDF writing although even in the new kernel
> (2.4.21) I do not see UDF write I only see UDF read, If I apply the patch
> will then I be able to write UDF's or if when the kernel is compiled and
> there is only UDF read not write I will never be able to write with that
> kernel?

You shouldn't need to patch to write UDF. I did not need to earlier in the
year when I compiled a kernel for some UDF tests. I don't remember the
options I turned on, but they were standard in the kernel from debian. I
think they're in the official kernel tree.

> While I was in menuconfig I selected help under UDF read and the dialog
> box said that to write UDF's that there should be a UDF write below UDF
> read in the menu. I do not see that though so even if I do get the kerne=

> recompiled I will still not have UDF writing enabled, correct?

Sounds like something didn't get enabled to allow the UDF write portion of
the decision tree to come available.

Hmm. Is there still a flag for 'experimental' stuff?

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  Freedom isn't everything, but without freedom you have nothing. - der.ha=
ns