C Libraries

Author: Ernest Baca
Subject: C Libraries
By far it is superior. It is sort of like combination of ports and apt-get.
The one thing I personally like is the ability to search the packages.
With apt-get you have to have the name by looking it up on the internet or
just know it. With portage you just say emerge search kde and it will gice
you every match to kde including matches in the description which makes it
useful. The other difference is that with apt-get you download the binaries
I believe and with portage you download the source and compile it optimized
to your system. It can take some time, for example KDE took me 13 hours to
compile on a 2Ghz machine, but it is well worth it when you get it up and
running. The other great thing is that with just one command "emerge update
world" you can update everything. I like apt-get also, since I use it when
working with my CD, but Gentoo portage is by far the best. Actually the
developers admit that their inspiration for portage came from BSD and Debian

Ernie Baca
Phoenix, Arizona

www.linux-forensics.com