COX strikes again

Author: Alan Dayley
Subject: COX strikes again
Craig White wrote:

>On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 17:27, der.hans wrote:
>

>>Am 04. Jul, 2003 schwätzte Alan Dayley so:
>>

>>>Some ISPs and businesses strip or drop emails with attachments known to
>>>potentially carry viruses. This would be .vbs .pif .exe and .zip, amoung
>>>others. I would suspect that somewhere along the way, someone's virus
>>>software is dumping your email.
>>>

>>The businesses should not be dropping third party content. As much as I
>>generally loath attachments and would love for that capability to go away,
>>they should not change content that is not either coming from or being
>>delivered to an address they own.
>>
>>In the case of Cox forcing customers to use their mail daemons they should
>>not change the content of that email in any way unless they are actively
>>blocking an attack of some sort, e.g. knocking a SPAMmer off the air, or the
>>customers have asked for filtering. You don't want them forcing you to use
>>their mail server? Complain to the FCC and the BBB. Remind both
>>organizations that Cox has been granted a monopoly and therefore has an
>>obligation to not discriminate against certain classes of customers since
>>those customers don't have other options.
>>

>------
>good thought but this was much ado about nothing...just a rant by
>someone who didn't check his facts before posting
>
>Craig

Well, I will admit that I shouldn't have stated that ISPs are dropping
email or email content. That was a blatent assumption on my part based
on 3rd order or higher scuttle-but. Sorry.

I do know, however, that many businesses do block emails or strip
attachments of various "ususal" trojan or virus carrier files. My
employer does. The companies of many people that I email to always
strip .zip files. If I want to send them a .zip, I have to rename it or
they will not get the attachment.

If an ISP does it, that would be bad.

Alan