3d nvidia troubles

Author: anonymous anonymous
Subject: 3d nvidia troubles
Has anyone upgraded from SuSE 8.1 to 8.2 and managed to successfully
configure 3d acceleration on a nvidia Ti 200? The "nv" driver works fine
but I miss tuxracer. I've rewritten my XF86Config file about 50 times.
I've installed and uninstalled the latest nvidia driver via the shell
script and rpm. I have no tools left but a big ol' hammer! I even
upgraded my BIOS in hopes of gaining a miracle of improved AGP support
(Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394, 1GA8SQ800 Ultra2). No matter what I try,
whenever I replace the "nv" driver with "nvidia" my console freezes.
About every 5 minutes I see the nvidia splash screen for about 2
seconds, then blank screen. SuSe 8.1 worked fine, although it took about
20 seconds to startx. What the heck am I doing wrong?