Switch vs Router

Author: KevinO
Subject: Switch vs Router
Rob Wultsch wrote:
> Thanks. To clarify I have an agrement with one of my neighbors (who has
> a fair quality firewall on it from my experience with "Shields UP") that
> I can use his wireless network that has cox behind for a a very
> reasonible fee. I do expect any security on my connection to the
> internet, however I do expect that all of the machines withen my network
> would be pretty safe.

Unless he has a business grade connection with Cox, he will be in violation of
his Terms of Service with Cox and you may both find yourselves disconnected.

'Shields Up' is a very minimal test of a firewall's security.

Your friend is opening up himself to serious security problems by becoming
your ISP and unless he is running a mail server and has a business grade
connection you will have a tough time sending or receiving any mail.

- --
KevinO

Hickory Dickory Dock, The mice ran up the clock, The clock struck one, The
others escaped with minor injuries.