KMail, Spam, Advice Wanted

Author: der.hans
Subject: KMail, Spam, Advice Wanted
Am 01. Jul, 2003 schw=E4tzte Ed Skinner so:

>       I use kmail (KDE Mail) for all Email. Currently, Kmail is configure=

d to
> go and fetch my Email from four different places every ten minutes or so
> (while launched and sitting on my desktop).
>      I need to implement two changes: first, the spam is getting utterly
> ridiculous and I need something automatic to pre-classify incoming traffi=

> into "might be spam" and "probably not spam" (and "definately spam"?)
> categories.
>      Secondly, I need to split my wife's email out into a separate "place=

" so
> she can read it from her machine (and mail program) at a different time.
>
>      Here's what I think I need to do (please correct my thinking or, if
> there's a better way, please let me know):

> 1) Use fetchmail to retrieve Email from external servers and put the mess=

ages
> somewhere "local" (on machine #1 which is up 100% of the time).
> 2) Use ????? to paw through that mail and do the anti-spam filtering.

SpamAssassin, as mentioned by others, is a great tool. It has rules for
classifying SPAM *and* has a Beyesian filter.

SpamAssassin doesn't filter the mail, though. That's what procmail is for.

> 3) Use kmail (on machine #1) to read my (now local) mail, and
> 4) Let my wife use a different mail reader (probably Mozilla's built-in) =

> read her Email when logged on to her system (machine #2).

Are you using seperate mailboxen?

If you use IMAP she can connect using a remote client. Same with POP, but
POP sucks :). You don't need SMTP to serve up the mail boxen, that's what
IMAP and POP are for.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  "Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling somethin=
g."
#   -- Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride