Tired of Being Screwed By Cox (no pun intended)

Author: David A. Sinck
Subject: Tired of Being Screwed By Cox (no pun intended)

\_ SMTP quoth Eric Thelin on 6/17/2003 15:21 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ It was submitted to slashdot and here by a co-worker of mine. He is
\_ angry because cox is not only blocking port 25 but also adding relay
\_ filters to only allow email sent with the from address set to use your
\_ cox.net address. So he can't send out emails from his personal domain
\_ or a domain used for a home based business in any way except web mail
\_ that avoids smtp until off of the cox network.

from http://support.cox.net/custsup/email/email_info.shtml

| Q: Does this mean that I have to use my @cox.net email address for
| everything I send?
|
| A: No. You can use any valid email address, but the email sent from
| your Cox High Speed Internet connection must be routed through a Cox
| SMTP server.
| [...]
| Q: I pay for my own domain name so I can send personal email through
| that server. Why are you blocking this legitimate use?
|
| A: We understand that some customers have vanity domain names and this
| action should not keep you from using your personal domain name. To
| ensure your ability to send email from your personal domain, your mail
| client must be set to a Cox outgoing mail server. This change in
| settings will be transparent to email recipients, and will not impact
| your ability to receive email. If you have a business requirement to
| bypass the Cox mail servers, please contact Cox Business Services for
| additional options.

I'd so much like to say I'm suprised that this seems to be false.

David