Lightweight WMs (Was: Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope)

Author: Voltage Spike
Subject: Lightweight WMs (Was: Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope)
On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 06:20:07PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Blackbox is still developed. The development 0.7x code includes netwm (aka
> ewmh) support. It is expected to be released officially this summer.

I did not know that. I'm sorry to spread the dis-information. :-)

> Are you referring to the epistrophy (epist) or epist-ng keygrabber? (They
> should work with blackbox 0.70 too.)

I don't believe I have tried epist, but I'm certainly willing to give
it a try. (BTW, I was referring to fluxbox's integrated keygrabber.)

> I don't think the wheel mouse support is in 0.70 -- I don't use it.
> Patches are available for blackbox (old and new). (Patches can be found
> via the blackbox webpage.)

Again, I'll have to look into it. Some people don't care for the
"no-click" experience, but I live and die by sloppy focus and mouse
wheels. ;-)

> I look forward to reading it. (I have written a few window manager reviews
> and also maintain the blackbox FAQ.)

Where are your reviews located? Perhaps I could review them to make
sure I cover all the major points of a window manager.

> Alt-F2 to open a "run as" box?
>
> This can be done with bbkeys or different keygrabber to pop-up that tool
> (maybe bbrun).

KDE's mini-CLI feature is far greater than a "run as" box. It
provides for customizable URLs such as:

gg:search term
- Search google for "search term"

ggg:search term
- Search google groups for "search term"

acro:HAND
- Look up the acronym "HAND" at acronymfinder.com

dict:word
- Look up "word" at your dictionary site of choice

I find this feature to be a massive time saver beyond what I would
have expected. I am fairly convinced that KDE's mini-CLI increases my
productivity far beyond any other aspect of KDE.

I mentioned gmrun (http://students.infoiasi.ro/~mishoo/site/gmrun.epl)
which seems to provide similar functionality but with more typing
(i.e., gg://search term).

PS: Thank you for your feedback. Since Blackbox seems to more common
than fluxbox in most major Linux distributions, I will have to
re-evaluate a newer version of Blackbox when time permits.

--
                                                           Voltage Spike
      ,,,