West side meeting.

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: West side meeting.
On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 12:59:36PM -0500, Michael Havens wrote:
/_I wish it was that simple. When I changed the device tab setting to ttyS0 I still got the same response: "Sorry, the modem doesn't respond." I then messesd with the flow control and what happened was thus:
/_flow control:                                       modem query:
/_CRTSCTS                           Sorry, the modem doesn't respond.
/_                                       (then, a littlle later)
/_                                  Modem query time out.
/_
/_XON/XOFF                          (boxes for ATI 1-7 which have nothing in them)
/_
/_None                              (boxes for ATI 1-7 which have nothing in them)
/_

I would do 2 things:

1. Make sure the bios has the ports enabled.

2. upon reboot: 'dmesg | grep tty' Look thru the output of that
and maybe you are looking at something a bit higher (/dev/ttyS1-5 ?)

If either of these do not work, go get a external modem and never worry
about these issues again. :-) I have always found the external modems
to just plain work.

-Mike