Newsweek featuring Linux

Author: der.hans
Subject: Newsweek featuring Linux
Am 26. Feb, 2003 schw=E4tzte George Toft so:

> <computer security rant>
> And this is one reason hand editing config files is considered a
> computer security risk. My typo adversly affected the availability of
> their web site to their customers. Tools that have been certified to
> produce correct, consistent results are much better. Of course, most
> Unix admins shudder at the thought of using GUI tools.
> </computer security rant>

Bah! GUI tools still suck :)

In this case, what you needed was a decent format for the config file, a
good lint tool and some QA.

<rant type=3D"computer" topic=3D"security">
GUI tools fsck up all the time! If you don't know how things're supposed to
work and don't check them, then you don't know if they're working properly.

The real solution is having good testing suites and practices.
</rant>

ciao,

der.hans
--=20