Waging War on Business

Author: Jim
Subject: Waging War on Business
On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 08:33, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 07:16, Michelle Lowman wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 21:01, Darrell Shandrow wrote:
> > > Hi Jim,
> > >
> > > Yes. That's the neat aspect to America; if one doesn't like one option,
> > > there's usually another available. The neat thing about technology in
> > > America is that there's enough openness and tools to write a program to do
> > > anything with a computer! So, there are alternatives, and theft remains
> > > both illegal and unethical.
> > >
> > > Darrell Shandrow - Shandrow Communications!
> >
> > True situation: Temp goes to work for a small company, needs to use
> > PageMaker. Company originally had 4 legal copies, one for each computer
> > in the (tiny) department. Over the past couple of years, three of the
> > PageMaker CDs have somehow disappeared, even though the original
> > packaging, user manual, etc. are still around. Hmmmmm . . ..
> >
> > Anyway, at some point, someone has removed the legal copy of PageMaker
> > from the computer used by the temp, and the CD for that copy is gone.
> > So the supervisor decides to install PageMaker on the temp's computer
> > from her own CD (the copy on her computer was installed from the same
> > CD).
> >
> > The temp's computer now has an illegal copy of PageMaker, and the
> > company is now screwed if BSA gets a tip about them. Did the company
> > steal? Or do they just suck at security and management?
> -----
> The answer to the above is yes
>
> Company is responsible for the software installed on all the computers.
> BSA (or Adobe or Microsoft or ???) apparently can challenge company to
> prove that it has licenses for all software currently in use.

Hmmmm....America - and business has the right to assume that you are
breaking the law and you have to prove that you are not! I thought that
you are presumed innocent until proven guilty applied in this country
(at least for now). I guess presumed innocence does not apply to
software marketed by a big-enough monopolist.