performance question solved

Author: George Toft
Subject: performance question solved
I would research the issue further. I had a 486/66 running Linux that
matched a Pentium/200 running NT (5+ years ago). My K6/600 running
Linux outperforms my Pentium/800 running NT (at work) and matches my
wife's Pentium4/1.4GHz running XP Home (with a fairly "stock" OEM load
of software). Matches is defined as apparent GUI response to events.

My current machine used to run Win98, and runs smoother and can do far
more (simultaneously) than 98 ever could. For example, I totally forgot
I had an 8x CD burner as Windows would make coasters at any speed above
4x, and I could never surf the Internet while burning CD's. Linux burns
at 8x while I play MP3's, surf the net, engage in heavy FTP's, and run
vmware.

Regards,

George