GPL Infectiousness

Author: Derek Neighbors
New-Topics: Game Theory was Re: GPL Infectiousness
Subject: GPL Infectiousness
--=-0MIYOLRxtMiluEGjpFZC

Debates like these need fluidity email does not afford...

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 21:57, Trent Shipley wrote:
> Look, GPL is *designed* to keep me (and you) from enclosing copywritten=20
> material. I can make a little money packaging GPL commodities but any ef=

fort=20
I dont understand this statement. The GPL relies on copyright as its
basis for effect. So how can it 'keep you' from using copyright on your
material? Maybe you mean enclosing as 'enslaving' or 'hording'?

> I make that extends or otherwise depends on a GPLed good is likely wasted=

in=20
> economic terms. My work is GPLed, if I distribute it the entities to who=

m I=20
> distribute it have a right to source and to transfer that source under an=

y=20
> terms they like.
>=20
> Greed may not be good, but it is necessary.

Where is your economic principle behind this? Have you seen "A
Beautiful Mind" think of his 'revelation' for a minute.

5 girls. 1 much better looking than the other. 4 boys.

If all 4 boys go after the best looking (greed), its likely they all
nullify each other an NO ONE gets the girl and the other girls then snub
them and they all go home empty handed.

However, if they all strategically pick one of the other 4 girls, they
all get a girl and move along. Sometimes 'taking one' for the team
yields a better result.

If Microsoft is that pretty girl and Free Software Choices the other
girls and user community the boys. Can you see why the pretty girl is
nervous?

I havent taken the time to research the economic principles in detail,
but I dont think greed is a proven theory of goodness (ask Enron).

> What GPL does is to bar huge -- well significant -- amounts of cultural=20
> capital for the purpose of private gain for decades, if not indefinitely.

This is misguided logic. If I give you 10 apple seeds. I tell you that
you may plant as you wish and do with the fruit you like. The only
thing you cant do is force people not to plant the seed from fruit you
give them. Will we no longer have apples?

> True, if I can track back the entire chain of contributors to a GPLed=20
> commodity then I can contract for each to supply his or her own contribut=

ion=20
> on commercial terms. =20
>     But in many cases this is not practical.  GPL is designed so that over t=

ime=20
> getting a clear commercially viable contract for any significant GPL prod=

uct=20
> becomes virtually impossible thanks to the tangled web of contributions a=

nd=20
> dependencies.

Poor copyright management is problematic regardless of licensing. =20

> GPL is a lovely anarchist tool -- it is hardly surprising that it is host=

ile=20
> to capitalism.

I agree it can be hostile towards 'greed economics', but ultimately I
think it is the essence of 'free market'. Im not sure I would call it
anarchist.

> Unfortunately, if you want economic progress greed is a better engine tha=

n=20
> mere pride, laziness, or impatience -- and altruism barely merits=20
> consideration.

A greed driven society. Sounds like a fun place to live.

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnuenterprise.org