Fry's $199 Linux box..

Author: Richard L. Proctor
Subject: Fry's $199 Linux box..
On Sunday 01 September 2002 6:57 pm, Rich Woods wrote:
> Hello Michael
>
> On 02-Sep-02, you wrote:
> >MFM Anyone buy one yet?
> >MFM
> >MFM What is the scoop on it?
>
> I bought one around a month ago for $299! Took it back and got a 1.8G
> Pentium 4 - 40 Gig HD, and extras for $499. Now have 1.1 Gig of memory
> and 100 Gigs of HD space. Bought thismachine specifically so I could
> run my Amiga OS and software on it - althought with my 060/50 PPC 233
> Mhz Amiga things are pretty quick.
>
> For $199 it's pretty hard to go wrong. Except that the OS ThizLinux -
> well to me it is lacking in a lot - but then I am used to my Amiga -
> just don't like the OS - that's why I ordered Mandrake 8.2.
>
> However they do have a 24x12x40 CD-RW deive - $20 after rebate and a
> 12xCD-ROM drive $20 after rebate - and I could use some help in
> getting these installed.
>
> 15" flat display - $250 after rebate - and a 60 GIG HD - $65 after
> rebate - and a Linksys Ethernet card - $0 after $10 rebate. - open
> today - 9-6 - prices only in effect today.

Just out of curiosity, do you really enjoy filling out, cutting out, all
the info to send those rebates in to get your name posted on a national
database to later be hammered with ton's of junk mail and email. Then having
to deal with getting help to install this stuff and deal with any defective
returns, Is it really worth it? I'm just curious cause of the business I
am in.

--
Richard L. Proctor
Krystal Computer Services