Linux router

Author: Dallas Helquist
Subject: Linux router
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alaric Fox" <>

<snip>
> 1) Will this work 'out-of-the-box', or will I need to compile a custom

kernel to
> support all 5 adapters?

Depends on the adapters. Off hand, I would say yes. I run a box with 4
adapters (1 ne2000, rest various 3com 3c9x). All cards use modules, and the
3coms share the same module. For the 3coms I do have to specify that there
are multiple cards when I load the module in /etc/modules.conf.

> 2) Does anyone see any problems I may run into with this setup that, as a

new
> user, I might not know exist? I assume I'll have to create new devices
> (/dev/eth0-4 or whatever).

Biggest problem will be figureing out which card is ethX, but thats fairly
simple. You don't actually create the devs, the module takes care of the
"device
Setting speed/duplex can be tricky, depencing on the card. I reccomend
checking out ethtool or mii-diag for that. A quick google search will turn
up the relevant pages.

Are you going to put all 5 cards on different IP networks, or bridge them
together?

-dallas