Samba Printers

Author: John Olson
Subject: Samba Printers
Quick background: some unix exper. over 10 yrs./now running Linux <1yr
(RH 7.2)/new to PLUG/no hardcore Linux knowledge yet/I'm the de-facto IT
guy in a new venture in which I'm involved :(
I am putting together a server which I'll be running RH Linux 7.2
serving files and printers to a mongrel bunch of Win 9x/ME/NT/2K/XP
laptops and workstations (Wkgrp, no domain).
-- 1st issue: I've been successful setting up Samba file shares, but
have had a terrible time with printers. I'm trying to set up the
printers as raw (taking Win driver output and piping it unaltered to
/dev/lp0). I'm successful at setting up /etc/printcap.local. I set up
the Samba share and can see the printer and print a test page when
browsing in WinExplorer to
\\linuxbox\printerName.
But when I add the printer in Win2k or XP printers folder on the client,
I get "access denied" when I try to select or print to that printer.
I've tried both share and user security, and definitely have the same
username/passwd on both the win and Linux boxes. And the file shares do
work fine.I've hunted around linux.org, unix.com and a few others and
haven't been successful. Any sites or direct advice?
-- 2nd issue: I'm going to use a Promise Technology RAID 0/1 card to do
mirroring. Anyone have any advice or warnings that might save me some
time and agony?
Thanks.