Windows XP file systems

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Windows XP file systems
Quoting Michelle Lowman <>:

> I'm sure there is someone here more knowledgeable about this than I am,
> but if I remember correctly from my MCSE courses, you really don't need
> NTFS for a typical user. The new NTFS has a lot of security goodies
> (very fine-grained permissions, etc.), but the average user will
> probably never use them. And I think that if the user ever decides to
> dual boot with Linux, he'll have a much easier time trying to write to a
> FAT32 partition than an NTFS partition.

My boss's new Sony laptop has the drive split into two partitions. Windows XP
Pro is on a FAT32 partition and the empty partition is NTFS! I guess they want
to make sure that the customer can get to the OS if you need to boot from a
floppy. eh, come to think of it, the laptop doesn't have a floppy!

Dennis Kibbe

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/