County, Allsing, Bandersnatch

Author: Robert Bushman
New-Topics: When to open code. (Was: Re: County, Allsing, Bandersnatch)
Subject: County, Allsing, Bandersnatch
On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, der.hans wrote:

> Am 04. Jul, 2002 schwätzte Robert Bushman so:
>
> > County: Publish the source code? Bill says that will make
> >         my hair fall out.

> The GPL does not require them to publish their source code. If they don't
> release the apps they don't have to show the source code to anyone.

If they give the apps to employees within their
organization, don't they have to give those
employees Free access to the source code?
So you could have a policy saying, "don't
take the source code", or "don't redistribute
the source code", but wouldn't that be a
violation of the GPL?

I reached this interpretation when looking at a
Java graphing library that was GPL. My job is
working on a thick-client CRM app. It's entirely
internal to the organization, but my impression
was that the employees would still have to have
Free (including redistribution privs) access
to the source code if I linked the library.