graphical login at boot time

Author: Lynn David Newton
Subject: graphical login at boot time
>> It's not a screenshot of someone logged in that I
>> need. It's a screenshot of the gdm login screen,
>> where you select your session type and language
>> (if you want), and type in your login name and
>> password.

>> And this is as it ought to be. Am I missing some
>> subtle thing I never knew about in your
>> suggestion?

Derek> Yes, I did misunderstand, now the question is
Derek> do I continue to help give you the right
Derek> answer or walk away and let you sink because
Derek> your response was so condescending?

Oh dear. Well Derek, I operate on the assumption that
if someone finds something wrong with what I say,
regardless of my intent, then it's my fault, so I
sincerely apologize for conveying that impression to
you.

Trust me, I'm the prototypical Mr. Niceguy.

  Derek>                     (I will go
  Derek> on the presumption you are just frustrated and
  Derek> possibly even trying to be funny)

FWIW, neither humor nor flippancy nor ever crossed my
mind, nor do I even see where you derive that
impression. No matter. I was entirely serious, and
merely seeking understanding.

There are many mysteries in the world of computing, and
regardless of having worked with this stuff for so many
years, I learn new, *basic* and obvious things every
day of my life. So when I don't understand something I
assume that it's because I'm a moron or missing some
significant piece of information, like "Maybe this guy
knows something about how to run two X processes to the
same tube at once that I never realized?"

Derek> In gdm.conf, in the [Greeter] section there is
Derek> a value BackgroundProgram=, you can put in a
Derek> program to do screenshots or a script here.
Derek> Say /usr/bin/X11/gimp or such. You can edit
Derek> the file manually or do so via a GUI if you
Derek> have configured to do so.

Derek> I created some samples:
Derek> http://gnuenterprise.org/~dneighbo/screenshots/login.png
Derek> http://gnuenterprise.org/~dneighbo/screenshots/configuration.png

This is very interesting and useful. I'll have to try
it tomorrow on my work system (where I'm doing this
project), and will try to digest what it is that's
going on. This is one of those Eureka! experiences ...
I had no idea you could do that. Thanks for teaching me
something. Now I'll go off and learn it right.

Derek> If I have again misunderstood I apologize.

You have. Apology accepted. Please accept mine for
conveying the misunderstanding in the first place.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ