KDE/Qt question

Author: Kurt Granroth
Subject: KDE/Qt question
On Monday 21 January 2002 11:35 pm, John (EBo) David wrote:
> I am in the beginning stages of writing some multi platform GUI's that
> have to run on at least *NIX and Win*, and special requests for MacOS...
>
> I finially got info that there is a M$ windows port of KDE that uses Qt
> 2.3 which means that I could in theory use KDE for the project. I am
> debating either using KDE or possibly pure Qt (which would allow me to
> develop directly in 3.0).
>
> Does anyone know the status and intent of a KDE 3.0 port to M$?
>
> Are there any plans for a KDE port to MacOSX?

Do *NOT* count on any MS or MacOS port of KDE for any significant work. The
"port" to windows uses cygwin which is cool and all, but definitely not
production quality. I don't know of *any* work getting KDE working with
MacOSX.

If you want multi-platform, then you'll be wanting pure Qt. It works great
with all Unice's + Windows and MacOS X. And if a certain proposed wrapper
library takes off, then Qt apps will act just like KDE apps if you are
running KDE sometime after KDE 3.0 (3.1, maybe)
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist |