web page hosting

Author: Fisher, Clinton
Subject: web page hosting
Well, I could probably outline my thoughts on it, and others here could add
to it.

Assuming you will be getting your own domain name to, here are the things
you will need.

1.  An IP address that does not change. (therefore dialups are not good)
    I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the many ways to
accomplish this.
2.  A registered Domain name (of course, if you are going to do that)
3.  When you register your domain name, you generally need to provide two
DNS servers once you point to a hosting provider. So, if you are going to
host your own, you either need to have a friend with two DNS servers, or you
need to set up two IP addresses for your DNS server.
4.  You will need to have a web server, like apache, but you probably knew
this part.

I have a friend that hosts web sites from his house and he has a mini
network in his garage or basement. If no one else knows how you go about
getting a DNS server listed with the Internic, I can ask him.

OR

If you just want to put up a web page and access it temporarily from the
network, just provide someone your IP address of your web server. As long as
you are not behind a firewall, they can see it.... But then again, this is
why we have DNS so that we don't have to remember things like 207.68.172.246
(that IP won't go over well here) or 198.182.196.56 (one that everyone here
should know - right?)

Anyway, the bottom line to serving a web page is accessibility from the
browser, which hinges on DNS for most of us. DNS hinges on the
internic/registration process for domain names, which rely on a static IP
address for dns servers.

Clinton Fisher
Systems Consultant III
Z-Tel Communications, Inc
http://www.myzline.com

"Why have a phone line when you can have a Z-line"