wireless

Author: der.hans
Subject: wireless
Am 27. Dec, 2001 schwätzte so:

> I am running Debian, and fixing on 'upgrading' to the "testing" dist
> today if that makes a differance.

I've got wireless running under Debian as does Blake. As in most things just
be careful what card you get. I'm not the one to offer advice in what to go
after in this particular area.

> I am also in the market for a handheld. I know nothing about Linux and
> handhelds.

Agendas ( I think that's what they were ) were $100 at Fry's, but there were
only a few left. I'm told that except the .de office the company is pretty
well out of business. Not that glamourous a PDA. Runs Linux, though.

> Can anyone direct me to a good site that addresses linux and handhelds?

www.handhelds.org ;-)

It's mostly from Compaq and mostly for iPAQ. iPAQ running Linux is most
cool, though. Stowaway keyboard and xstroke for input. I've got a
dual-pcmcia card sleeve. I use a wireless ethernet card ( have a CF wired
eth card as well ). Haven't gotten my CF drive partitioned as my laptop
wasn't recognizing it :(.

iPAQ is expensive. Go for at least the 36xx so you get 32MB drive space.

38xx wasn't running Linux as of a couple of weeks ago, but should do so
soon.

There are CF and pcmcia svga cards, so you can serve external displays such
as projectors from the iPAQ.

I think iPAQ running Linux is great. It's still missing a lot of things, but
things are improving. I believe many of those would be available if I would
run QPE rather than X.

OTOH, I could get a 5 GB pcmcia hard drive and run a full debian dist on the
iPAQ! That is almost worth the $400 for the drive :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/ http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
# "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans