How to disable load of sound module?

Author: Victor Odhner
Subject: How to disable load of sound module?
Please tell me how to get around this problem!

I am now unable to boot my RH7.1 system because it locks up
trying to load a sound driver.

I received a new motherboard for Christmas, with a 3.1GHz Athlon,
which is very nice (I had a 200MHz hand-me-down before).
But when I booted over to Linux, Kudzu discovered the VIA sound
system and configured the sound module, which locks up solid.

Last sign of life is this message,
... followed by a gentle thump from the loudspeakers.

Keyboard is unresponsive, I have to use the reset button.

So, HELP: Once I start up with my RH7.1 rescue disk, what
file do I edit to bypass loading of the sound module?

It is urgent for me to get Linux running again, and I'll worry
about sound later. (I do my sound stuff under Windows currently,
and use Linux for serious work.)

Thanks,

Vic