Printing to windows printers

Author: Craig White
Subject: Printing to windows printers
Tom Achtenberg wrote:

> > ----
> > 1 - what is your output of 'rpm -qa|grep foo' ?
> >
> >   - does it look like:
> >     Omni-foomatic-0.5.0-4
> >     foomatic-1.1-0.20011018.7

> [tom@pc-00067 tom]$ rpm -qalgrep foo
> rpmq: one type of query/verify may be performed at a time
> [tom@pc-00067 tom]$

---
OK - was supposed to be vertical bar and not an 'l' between -qa & grep

if you are using gui, select the text as I typed it, click on the
terminal windows with your 3rd button on your mouse (my scroll wheel is
the 3rd button) and it enters the selected text where you click.
---

> > 3 - what is output of /etc/printcap?
> >

> [root@pc-00067 tom]# /etc/printcap
> bash: /etc/printcap: Permission denied
> [root@pc-00067 tom]#

----
my fault, I assumed that you understood what I meant...try

cat /etc/printconf
----

> > 5 - can you let us know any output from /var/log/messages & WindowsNT
> > Event Viewer that suggests that the print job was queued, denied,
> > abandoned?
> >

> It does not appear to ever hit the NT queue

---
what about /var/log?

tail /var/log/messages
---

> > 6 - is lpd running? what is output of 'ps aux|grep lpd' ?
> >

> [root@pc-00067 tom]# ps auxlgrep lpd
> ps: error: Process ID list syntax error.
> usage: ps -[Unix98 options]
>        ps [BSD-style options]
>        ps --[GNU-style long options]
>        ps --help for a command summary
> [root@pc-00067 tom]#

---
OK again, it was supposed to be a vertical bar instead of an 'l' between
aux & grep

Try this (note the vertical bars are not 'l')

rpm -qalgrep foo > /tmp/print.diagnostic.txt
cat /etc/printcap.local >> /tmp/print.diagnostic.txt
cat /etc/printcap >> /tmp/print.diagnostic.txt
ps aux|grep lpd >> /tmp/print.diagnostic.txt

then, either...
mail < /tmp/print.diagnostic.txt

or
insert /tmp/print.diagnostic.txt into a reply or cat
/tmp/print.diagnostic.txt and copy & paste into mail message.

AND - though this would probably tell us all we need...

If you open printconf-gui and I presume it lists one printer, select
that printer, click the edit button and tell us what the queue name is,
what the queue type is, and though if we have /etc/printcap as per
above, we should know all this...I would love for you to send a print
ascii test page to that printer and then 2 minutes later, type,
tail /var/log/messages and we will be at the bottom of it.

Craig