Linux on Qwest DSL with own ISP

Author: Tom Snell
Subject: Linux on Qwest DSL with own ISP
Yes, I've had Qwest DSL for a couple years with my old ISP, Inficad (whom
I'd used since they started with dial-up). IP address is static, and they
still use bridging mode (they'd intimated a year or so ago that they were
going to go PPP/DHCP, but it's never happened). Have the Cisco 675, still
on CAP. No PPOE necessary....I just bridge it through to a Linksys
single-port broadband router, where the NAT is configured, to a 5-port
switch (this was the quick, dirty, cheap way to go....didn't have the
parts/cash to set up a Linux router box). The network config on the Linux
workstation is pretty much vanilla LAN.

Inficad's level one techs aren't always astute as to the config of their own
Redback router, but the one or two guys there that you would consider
'sysadmins' will listen if you back up your assumptions with some facts. In
fact, in the nearly six years I've been with Inficad, I've probably had to
call them three times....not a bad record for any ISP. I honestly can't
remember, up until this past week, the last time they've ever gone down
(they run FreeBSD webservers, IIRC). From their website, though, it appears
they've just been sold, and I had some downtime (short-term) twice this
week. I just hope they don't go the way of the old Primenet, which was a
cool little ISP back in '94-'95, but went downhill after GlobalCenter bought
them out.....

Tom