Photo Radar

Author: Julian M Catchen
Subject: Photo Radar
My understanding of Photo Radar tickets is the following:

1) Your father can ignore it, and if they don't persue it for 3 months it
reaches its statory limitation, or

2) Have you father goto court, they will look at the photo radar picture
and say is this you? He says no, the ticket is thrown out, case closed.

Your father is not responsible for the ticket simply because he pays taxes
on the car... they have to prove he did the speeding to make him pay the
ticket, they can't do that so it will be thrown out. He is not obligated
in any way to identify who you are and you cannot be charged because the
state has no proof of who *you* are (excpet that you are in some blurrt
photo radar picture).

julian

On 2001.12.04 00:52 Victor Odhner wrote:
> If you ignore the ticket, your father is likely to have a
> bench warrant sworn out against him. That means they won't
> hunt him down, but if an officer has contact with him for any
> purpose, then the warrant may come up and he'll be taken
> into custody until the issue is resolved. A lot of "scofflaws"
> don't realize the hassle that they may be in for at some
> unexpected future time.
>
> > The sign is marked School Zone.. uhm, school zones are 35 from
> > 7:30-4:30
>
> At least where the 15 MPH limit is posted, it applies any time that
> children are present. I don't know how the area was posted, but
> my guess is that they can find you in violation if there were
> kids milling around.
>
> > The ticket was not certified mail, it was normal delivery
> > in his po box.
>
> I don't know what Tempe does, but Scottsdale delivers to the door
> when the cited person does not respond, and I think they charge
> for the personal service! The photo radar should have a
> recognizable picture of you behind the wheel. A speeding charge
> must be made against the driver personally, not just the owner
> of the car. But I think they're developing more ways of forcing
> the owner to identify who was driving -- I guess you could make
> a case for obstruction otherwise.
>
> I'm not an anti-radar partisan, so I don't know all the legal
> dodges that might be available. If it's important for you to
> keep clean, you might look up "photo radar" "driver" "prove"
> or some such combination of things on google.com ...
>
> Or call one of the law-yuhs who specialize in traffic offenses,
> they will probably give you a little free advice by way of
> screening your need for their service. Finally, I think there
> are public advocacy groups that give some advice, especially
> groups that specialize in contesting speeding charges, and
> they might balance the lawyers' bias.
>
> Good luck anyway.
>
> Vic

mail : julian @ catchen.org         | ( topeka )
www  : http://catchen.org/topeka/   |  phx, az
sent : Tue Dec 04, 2001 07:17AM MST |
  The DMCA says that companies can use technology to take away fair use,
  but programmers can't use technology to take fair use back. Now the
  government is spending taxpayer money putting people from other countries
  in jail to protect multinational corporate profits at the expense of
  free speech
                       --Jennifer Granick, Center for Internet and Society,
                         Stanford Law School