RH72 driving my freaking nuts

Author: Digital Wokan
New-Topics: Owl aka Openwall linux.
Subject: RH72 driving my freaking nuts
Craig White wrote:

> Digital Wokan wrote:
> >
> > I've been spoiled by Mandrake. I finally sell my boss on shifting the
> > server part of the operation to Linux, and I name Red Hat since I felt
> > more confident in their support than Mandrake's. What I no longer have
> > confidence in is their distro.
> > ProFTPD... Not there. rpm --rebuild a source rpm... refuses to work at
> > all, claiming "no such file". (I do this all the time on Mandrake.)
> > Webmin... Not there either. Install from RPM? Some kind of script
> > error. Install from tarball... Fine, but no Perl-SSLeay package for SSL
> > encrypted remote control. (Why would RH not include SSLeay?) OpenSSL
> > installed... check. Not good enough.
> > I guess I better call MandrakeSoft tomorrow and see what they have to
> > offer before I go ripping my hair out making due with half a solution.
> > (This whole thing is doable by just me, but the boss needs backup. I
> > won't mind having it either.)
> > Anyone know a place selling laptops preloaded with Mandrake?
> Awful easy to install perl-ssleay - isn't it available via cpan?
>
> ProFTP just isn't on the map on Redhat - they supply WUFTPD. I can't
> believe that it is all that difficult to install but I haven't done it.
>
> Thankfully, none of the distro's are perfect because that would
> eliminate all the other distro's and it's the competition and various
> philosophies that spurs each one to continually improve.
>
> Craig

Not saying I don't like or appreciate Red Hat. I can understand
including just one ftp server (and was ready to just sit down and deal
with it). But not to include Webmin (which I'd swear was in 7.1) seems
nuts. SSL-enabled Webmin is like having most of the power of pcAnywhere
for Windows, but without the overhead of having to wait on graphical
updates over the wire.